Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Resiliency...Army Wives Know That Word....

Ugh, Stephen leaves next week...the deployment begins. I knew it was coming, but it was still weeks away, and now it's a week away. :(. We had our pre-deployment briefing not long ago...nothing much new, same 'ole info for the most part, but I thought I might lose it if I heard the word "resilient," one more time. Yes, yes, resiliency is key to surviving in the Army/Military and basically life, but all I kept picturing in my head to conceptualize resiliency was that clown punching bag from my childhood that kept coming back for more after I  know I totally knocked that thing senseless....not a fun image...kind of frustrating actually. So I guess our family is like the clown punching bag now, and the deployment is the punch that keeps us "resilient?" That analogy just doesn't sit well with me, so I've been trying to think of other analogies to help me process the concept more thoroughly....   


Resiliency is like the elastic in my underwear that is able to miraculously go back to its original shape after each washing. LOL, well, that's true for at least some of my undies...my others, well, they need prayer.

Resiliency is like continuing to wear a pair of fabulously amazing high heels because they make you look awesome even though each step makes you cringe with pain. I totally did that on Sunday--thought I was dying!

Resiliency is like my beautiful begonias that continue to bloom against all odds--a drought, and our dog who has made my flower garden his urinal.

Resiliency is like the first batch of cookies I ever made--tough, refusing to crumble even after multiple attempts to be eaten.

So if I put these analogies together it means, basically, that if I'm resilient I am rolling with the punches, stretched--but never too far, looking amazing even when it hurts, blooming in the least likely of conditions, and too tough to crumble. Hmm...I guess being resilient isn't so bad...it reminds me of 2 Corinthians 4:8-10:

We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.

Now that's RESILIENCY!

No comments:

Post a Comment